Need to know the best oil to use for your air fryer? Best oil spray for your air fryer? Healthiest oil for your air fryer? Best spray oil for air fryer? We have got you covered! All the tips and tricks to make the most of your delicious air fryer journey.
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may receive commissions if you choose to purchase through this link (at no extra cost to you).
A lot of people always ask: What is the best oil to use in an air fryer? And while most of us already have our favorites such as olive oil and canola, one thing we do have to remember is air fryers aren’t your typical run-of-the-mill kitchen appliance.
No, they’re much more than that. This versatile appliance can cook up various food items and can reach high cooking temperatures. So we need the best oil to match it, right?
So here is a short list of the best oils to use in an air fryer:
Best oil for air fryer
This oil can reach a cooking temperature of up to 500°F making it perfect for air fryers. Although it does have a slight avocado flavor, it’s mostly neutral so it doesn’t affect the flavor of your dish.
Extra Light Olive Oil
Coming in next is Extra Light Olive Oil. It has a more neutral flavor than avocado oil and it can still reach a high temperature of up to 470°F.
Although some claim soybean oil to be tasteless, it has since been refined and improved over the years. This oil comes in third for reaching a smoke point at 460°F.
A crowd-favorite, this oil can reach a smoke point of 450°F and is considered one of the healthiest choices with a neutral flavor.
This oil also has a smoke point of 450°F and rather than a neutral flavor,
this gives off a nutty taste–great for frying.
Picking the right oil for you can definitely be tricky. There is a lot to consider from the smoke point to the taste.
And although it might look like there’s a lot to choose from, each one is simply unique and perfect for different kinds of air-fried dishes.
Healthiest oil for air fryer
It’s hard to say which is the right oil for you but talking about healthy oil for cooking, we can definitely narrow it down.
What’s considered to be the healthiest oil for air frying is all about the fat’s ability to withstand the high temperatures of cooking. These are the top 3 healthiest cooking oils for you to choose from:
- Olive Oil: As far as healthiest oils go, olive oil is guaranteed to be the universal favorite. It produces less toxic compounds than most oils and is a much more stable oil when cooking.
- Avocado Oil: Avocado oil is definitely on this list due to its high smoke point of 500°F. Being able to withstand an extremely high temperature makes for safer cooking.
- Canola Oil: Generally considered to be healthy, the canola oil contains less saturated fat than most oils and also contains significant amounts of phytosterols that actually help reduce cholesterol absorption in the body.
Best oil sprayer for air fryer
There are a few products to help you ease your way inside the kitchen and some of them provide more than just ease. One of them is an oil sprayer.
You can use these nifty little devices in cooking and will help you save time, money, and effort. Typically, air fryers don’t need oil to cook but having oil will help improve the taste of your dish as well as give it a bit of juicy texture in an otherwise dry outcome.
Here are some of the best cooking spray for air fryer to help you in the kitchen:
- Evo Oil Sprayer Bottle: This oil sprayer has a simple and easy-to-grip design. It is refillable and recyclable and can dispense cooking oil without harmful chemicals for food.
- Misto Oil Sprayer: This is another great oil sprayer for your air fryer. Featuring a slick metallic design with a safety cap, this non-aerosol sprayer is also environmentally friendly.
- Premium Olive Oil Mister: This oil sprayer is great for most types of oils. It doesn’t clog even with infused herbs and has an easy-to-use pump mechanism.
- OurWarm Oil Sprayer: This sprayer features an adjustable nozzle to control the strength of the spray and is small and compact—easy to carry.
Best oil for air fryer chips
Potato chips are a classic snack that everybody loves. From homemade chips to store-bought ones, they often use canola oil when deep-frying or air frying.
Canola oil is a great option for chips and is often used in various fat-free potato chips recipes. The same can be said for fries.
If you want great homemade fries and chips to go with your entree, using canola oil is definitely the best way to go.
Best oil for air fryer chicken
Fried chicken tastes best when it is golden and crispy on the outside and tender and juicy within. As you probably know by now, air fryers don’t require oil when you cook in them.
So how can you give fried chicken some of its juicy flavor without it going pale and dry? The answer is simple: just spray your frozen chicken with a little bit of oil just before cooking.
That said, which one should be the best oil to use in air fryer that would be perfect for fried chicken recipes?
The best one would definitely be avocado oil due to its high smoke point and healthy aroma–giving the best flavor to your fried chicken. Other great options include vegetable oil and peanut oil.
Where do you put the oil in an air fryer?
How do you use oil in an air fryer? You might be thinking that an air fryer is similar to a deep fryer and you need to immerse your food in oil to cook it. That is not the case.
An air fryer is much closer to an oven than a deep fryer. The air fryer cooks the food by circulating hot air.
That being said, a little bit of oil in the air fryer is excellent to keep the food from sticking together ad to give it extra crunch!
You can simply put oil on the food you are about to cook by either greasing it using a basting brush or using a cooking spray. You don’t necessarily have to cover the fryer basket with oil as air fryers don’t require oil when cooking.
Some air fryer recipes only require a small amount of cooking oil for added taste and you are still using less oil than a deep fryer, making the food healthier than the latter.
FAQ and expert tips
The best oil to use in an air fryer is typically an oil with a high smoke point. Canola oil, avocado oil and peanut oil are all great options.
Air fryers can use oil but not in the same way as a deep fryer. Oil is used in small amounts to keep food from sticking or to add crunch. The food is not immersed in oil.
Lightly coat your fryer basket using a spray mist of oil. The food should not be immersed in oil.
The best oil for air fryer french fries is canola, vegetable or peanut oil.
Best Oil for Air Fryer
- 1 tablespoon Avocado Oil
- 1 tablespoon Extra Light Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Soybean Oil
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 1 tablespoon Peanut Oil
- 1 tablespoon Canola Oil
- Using a oil spray bottle or oil mister with oil of choice, or air fryer safe cooking spray, apply a light coating of oil to your fryer basket.
- If you don't have a bottle, mister or pump, you can apply a small amount of oil to a paper towel and grease the air fryer basket (not while hot).